[1 th Month] A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Front Page Forums MCNSA [1 th Month] A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    andreicek

Pick by: wigginman

Due date: 20. April 2012.
    Discuss time: 20. – 30. April 2012.

Description:
    A Tale of Two Cities (1859) is a novel by Charles Dickens, set in London and Paris before and during the French Revolution. With well over 200 million copies sold, it ranks among the most famous works in the history of fictional literature.
    The novel depicts the plight of the French peasantry demoralized by the French aristocracy in the years leading up to the revolution, the corresponding brutality demonstrated by the revolutionaries toward the former aristocrats in the early years of the revolution, and many unflattering social parallels with life in London during the same time period. It follows the lives of several protagonists through these events. The most notable are Charles Darnay and Sydney Carton. Darnay is a French once-aristocrat who falls victim to the indiscriminate wrath of the revolution despite his virtuous nature, and Carton is a dissipated British barrister who endeavours to redeem his ill-spent life out of his unrequited love for Darnay’s wife. The 45-chapter novel was published in 31 weekly installments in Dickens’ new literary periodical titled All the Year Round. From April 1859 to November 1859, Dickens also republished the chapters as eight monthly sections in green covers. Dickens’ previous novels had appeared only as monthly installments. The first weekly installment of A Tale of Two Cities ran in the first issue of All the Year Round on 30 April 1859. The last ran thirty weeks later, on 26 November.
    (from wikipedia)

When you are done reading wait for the last day. Then you can come here and start discussing the hell out of this book 😉 ! Whole time we are accepting new book ideas (PM me to apply). This is the only one and official book club discussion. You are welcome to create other discussions in the book subforum. This is where you can earn points.

Nadarekyle
    Participant

Let’s READ A BOOK!

Also, “1th’? Grammar Police = Appalled.

Pyrotek

Awesome – just saw this book on my shelf and was thinking about how I haven’t read any Dickens besides Oliver Twist.

Farblade

…I think I’ll pass.

Atlasrune

@Pyrotek wrote:

Awesome – just saw this book on my shelf and was thinking about how I haven’t read any Dickens besides Oliver Twist.

I’ve personally only read David Copperfield. 😀

wigginman

I’m reading this in class right now.

Raynomd

I’m about halfway through right now – I didn’t finish it in time for the discussion deadline. It’s different from what I usually read (mostly fiction), and I don’t know much of the historical background, but I like it! I don’t know much of what to say in the way of discussion, but I’m going to keep reading – hopefully I’ll finish by next week.

Has anyone finished the book yet? Like Raynomd I’m not quite there. I plan to finish it, unfortunately my nook died, so I’ve been using a pc app to read it (my eyes feel like they are going to shrivel up, die and then fall out in droopy dried out deflated eyeball sacks.) But if I don’t finish it by Monday well it will be done by Tuesday if my kindle actually get in before work ^_^.

wigginman

I’m finishing right now/

wigginman

I finished reading about 3 hours ago. I loved the book. I thought Carton would do something different though.

wigginman

If you have not finished the book do not read this post!!!!!!
    When [spoiler:2t4obpmx]Carton dies for Darnay[/spoiler:2t4obpmx] doesn’t this kind of make him a tragic character, perhaps arguably the novel’s tragic hero?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.