Discworld Devotees’ ‘Mended Drum’ Hangout

Front Page Forums MCNSA Discworld Devotees’ ‘Mended Drum’ Hangout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eronaile

I salute you, devout followers of the one and only grandmaster of intelligent humor: Terry Pratchett.

Here’s your place to discuss the latest, or any, discworld novels, to speak about your favorite characters, places, quotes, franchise, the health problems of our favorite writer and so on.

There are for the true Discworld disciple 3 Golden Rules to obey:

1. Never ever disgrace the thread by naming a certain English wannabe fantasy author with a like for pathetic, prepubescent wizard kiddies or her work 🙄

2. If you see someone WRITING LIKE THIS you should probably stick with one of the thin episodes and not begin reading any long books 😕
    Or maybe it’s just another attack of Evil Dr. Caps 😀

3. Don’t use the ‘M’ word!!!!!*

I hope there are some other devotee’s to Discworld on MCNSA. Own up!
    Of course, feel free to chitchat about any other work of Terry as well. His other novels are quite awesome, too.
    Have fun!

Eronaile

Five exclamation marks – sure sign of an ill mind 😉

Stagen

@Atlasrune wrote:

EIGHT!

Are you saying you’re the eighth son of an eighth son of a wizzard? 😯

Atlasrune

EIGHT!

gravehorrorvacui

Is this where I sign up for Music With Rocks In?

(Also, we should put this in the Book Club, that subforum is lonely!)

Eronaile

Just finished reading ‘Small Gods’ once again. Definitely one of my favorite novels tho also one with a sad main theme of religious fanatism and lots of cool stuff about the Discworld gods (one in particular).

If pressed to a statement about which Discworld novels are best, well, it’s quite a hard choice. I like the ‘City Watch’ and ‘Rincewind’ ones best I think. Although most of the ‘stand-alone’ works like above-mentioned ‘Small Gods’ or, of course, ‘Soul Music’, are really cool as well.
    The only novels I personally can’t totally come to terms with is the ‘Witches’ series and ‘Mac Best’. So that’s an A grade instead of A+ 😉

Also in contrast to most other readers I think the very first novels (starting the ‘Rincewind’ series) are absolutely great. Of course they’re much centered on hilarious and crazy encounters instead of making a big fuss about real-world topics and in later novels Terry has shown that you can combine both parts for an arguably even better reading experience. Nevertheless, I like the uncomplicated, unadulterated fun, too.

So yeah, I’m kind of a Discworld fanatic, up to the point where I stopped reading any other fantasy except, of course, Lord of the Rings and the awesome ‘Dune’ series by Frank Herbert.

So to get the discussion rolling: which characters do you like best? Feel free to supply quotes and other reasons why they’re your favorites.

Also, did you like the latest novel, ‘Snuff’? I think Terry wrote it with more help of his friend authors than usual due to his health problems. I’d really hate it if he had to give up writing :<
    ‘Snuff’ takes you on a trip through racism and unbelievable crimes against a whole species with a lack of the typical ‘light humor’ that is part of most other novels. I liked reading it very much but I think now it’s time for a new one without a gloomy atmosphere.

Eronaile

gravehorrorvacui

I personally just got into Discworld, myself. I’ve only read Small Gods, and Soul Music so far. I’m in the middle of the Hogfather and I started Making Money at some point. So far Making Money is the only one that hasn’t caught me within the first few pages like the others.

At this point my favorite characters are Death of Rats and CMOT-Dibbler. Death of Rats is a favorite because he’s one of the few characters to actually have his head on straight, but he’s a rat skeleton. Out of all the characters, he’s the only one that has any kind of consistent sanity and its awesome! Also, SQUEAK! As for Dibbler, well how can you not like him? I mean, of course he’d steal your ring and sell it back to you for profit, but he’s just so… nice. His character screams personality, even though he’s pretty much a con-man. His recurring nature is pretty awesome too, he’s everywhere at the right time to make a sale. Also, I like to think of him as like a mad god in some ways due to his recurring nature. Discworld definitely wouldn’t be the same without him.

Eronaile

Yay for Death of Rats! If you liked the style of ‘Soul Music’ a good next move would probably be ‘Moving Pictures’, another stand-alone novel about the magic of movie-making which on the Discworld turns out to be pretty dangerous. Also starring CMOT in an important role ^^

‘Making Money’ is possibly the only novel I did not obtain yet, mainly because it got bad critics overall. There are only very few of these somewhat ‘uninspired’ episodes of Discworld. Personally I could add ‘Mascerade’ and ‘Mac Best’ here but I would have difficulties finding any other novels that do not match the very high standards you can expect of Pratchett.

If you think about reading on be advised that the ‘series’ are best read in chronological order, i. e. normally in the order they were released. It makes understanding easier and you will find many allusions to earlier events.

My favorite characters are the Librarian (who doesn’t like him? ^^), Rincewind, CMOT and Cohen the Barbarian.

gravehorrorvacui

Yea, I’ve seen some alternate guidelines as to what order to read the books in. One grouped them by themes that I thought was pretty cool, but recommended Small Gods for last. Since Small Gods was the first that I read… I royally screwed that up. However, I’m glad to know I’m not the only person who wasn’t that into Making Money. I’ll still read it eventually, but it isn’t going to be near the top of my reading list for a while I don’t think.

Oh, and I totally forgot about the Librarian! Ook!

Eronaile

So, Stagen and atlas, you’re familiar with a very flat world as well? And I’m not talking about Minecraft :p

BTW: “Do you think there’s something to eat in this forest…?”
    “Yes. Us.”
    Guess who ^^

Atlasrune

@Eronaile wrote:

So, Stagen and atlas, you’re familiar with a very flat world as well? And I’m not talking about Minecraft :p

BTW: “Do you think there’s something to eat in this forest…?”
    “Yes. Us.”
    Guess who ^^

I’m incredibly familiar with the discworld, but not very familiar with the books themselves. I played for a good 3 years on the Discworld MUD.

I’m a priest of Sandelfon by the name of Zmogus.

Eronaile

Awesome! I didn’t even know there’s a Discworld MUD.
    Started yesterday, I’m a bloody newbie called ‘Jasmira’. Currently exploring AM 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.