Possible incoming scrub

Front Page Forums MCNSA Possible incoming scrub

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SpokenSquid

So the summer sale has sparked my interest in playing a few games via steam.
    TF2 was one of these.

What advice can you all suggest for a completely new player – Classes, weapons, general do’s & dont’s, what I’m limited to with Free to Play, etc…
    I’d also love to play with you guys for my first game, but I don’t know when I’ll be free to pick it up – We should set something up!

Pyrotek

EDIT: This PC Gamer guide was designed for the new F2Pers, and is pretty damn good about explaining pretty much everything: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/24/the-noobs-guide-to-team-fortress-2-part-one/

For classes, I suggest you start with the Medic or Soldier. Medic is a decent way to learn the maps and gamemodes, but you’re going to be a target – never stop moving, and stick around strong attack classes (demo/soldier/heavy). Soldiers fairly easy to start with, not many quirks to the class – you have a rocket launcher, aim at their feet and beware of Pyros (they can airblast your rockets back at you).

I can’t remember if the in-game tutorials are much good, but they at least tell you what each of your weapons are and what they do.

As for drops – almost always, your defaults are the best. There are no straight upgrades (well, some can be argued); most weapon drops are designed to benefit you in one style or aspect of your game, but there’s always a trade off.

A_FLEMING

Awesome that you’re getting TF2, squid 😀 My thought on classes is that you may want to start as a Heavy, since you can’t really go wrong if you have a Medic. Fun way to get used to the game and mow down some people. Other than that, Scout, Soldier, Medic and I would probably say Sniper, but hey, that’s my opinion! Hope to see you on there some time 😉

Altimeter

@Pyrotek wrote:

As for drops – almost always, your defaults are the best. There are no straight upgrades (well, some can be argued); most weapon drops are designed to benefit you in one style or aspect of your game, but there’s always a trade off.

Some of the melee weapons can be straight upgrades. As medic, there’s no reason to not use an amputator over the default bonesaw, for instance.

But yeah, default loadout’s pretty good–close to ideal even–for most classes. Some items completely change the way a class is played (Eyelander + Charging Targe = demoknight, Gunslinger = battle engie, half the spy items change the class’s tactics) whereas some change ideal tactics a bit (Backburner favors sneaky pyros, phlogistinator is great for those who charge in burning, while degreaser is better for reflecting shots and switching weapons to combo with the axtinguisher / shotgun / flaregun. The crusader’s crossbow almost turns medics into a sniping class for dealing damage and healing, and the huntsman makes snipers more mid-range combat snipers.) If you can keep stocked with ammo as heavy, I recommend the sandvich over the shotgun, simply because feeding your medic is good behavior, and being able to duck back and heal anywhere is also kind of nice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.