Programming Competition?

Front Page Forums MCNSA Programming Competition?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    FuzzyWuzzie

Back in the day, when I was an active member of the cpp-home forums (my username was “r4nd0m”, and I was young :ugeek: ), we held regular programming competitions / challenges. These challenges could be anything from solving simple logic-based puzzles to creating an AI to solve a sudoku game or play an intelligent game of reversi. These contests were tons of fun, and I think people learned a lot from them.

Is there any desire for us to run a similar type competition here? For example, we could implement a virtual arena then have players program robots that fight to the death then hold a round-robin tournament for all participants. Let me know if you guys want things like this, and I’ll get around to doing it / twist someone else’s arm to do it 😛

edit holy crap, I decided to log in and check out my old posts on cpp-home.. fucking onions, I still remember all these people and their avatars, stories, and personalities..

Microsoftt
    Participant

Yes yes yes and MORE yes!

Kwinno

Yes

BUT

i only have basic java knowledge and java is the only language i know…
    not really sure on how to proceed on all this

williamg

I’m in! Java or C++ for me

gravehorrorvacui

@Kwinno wrote:

Yes

BUT

i only have basic java knowledge and java is the only language i know…
    not really sure on how to proceed on all this

You will be fine! All the ideas that Fuzzy listed can be completed in pretty much any language. A more or less ‘complete’ language like Java has more than enough ability to be able to solve those problems. If the only language you knew was Brainfuck or Ook! then you’d have your work cut out for you.

Also, I’m down! I need something to motivate me more.

FuzzyWuzzie

Ok! After I’m done finals in a week and a half I’ll organize things and start a competition. It would be really handy if you guys threw out some ideas for competitions that you would like to take part in. Some ideas I’ve come up with (aside from what I already said in my first post) are:

• Create a program to solve a maze (either with complete or incomplete knowledge of the entire maze?)
    • Program a line-following robot
    • Chess / Checkers / Reversi / Four-In-A-Row / Tic-Tac-Toe AI
    • Parsing calculation input (ie: 5*(3-4) = -5)
    • Creating “virsuses” in a virtual machine that compete to hog the entire machine’s resources
    • Physics simulations (predict location of bouncing ball at certain time, for example?)
    • Solving inverse of matrices

[*] Blackjack / Poker / Cribbage / Hearts playing bot

Let me know what you guys want!

zerpa

If you like programming (slash math) challenges:http://projecteuler.net/

shrood

@zerpa wrote:

If you like programming (slash math) challenges:http://projecteuler.net/

Project Euler is fantastic. It is also a great way to transition through languages. Start with ones that you know and then try and tackle the problem using different languages and their respective data structures.

Young_Maker

if java is allowed, im in!

TheRedHulk
    Keymaster

Naw, we need to go hardcore programming, we must write a game, IN EXCEL!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.