State of the Server and the Future.

Front Page Forums Announcements State of the Server and the Future.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    nsanidy

MCNSA,

First and foremost – glad you’re here reading this. It’s been a crazy last few weeks, that’s for certain. I’ve just returned from some time off from my main job, as well as taking some time off from the server and its daily operation. As MCNSA has evolved and Minecraft’s code has become a little cleaner as well as our Angelics doing a great job; the need for me to be around has lessened substantially in regards to ensuring the server is actually running. This has been great for me, however I have noticed some things in this time that I would like to address.

Where we stand now:

Right now subscriptions are dwindling (to be expected) and the server is still making the costs needed to operate it. Many of you are so kind as to send “money bombs” my way (a large donation) every so often while many of you have chosen the subscription route. So first off, big thanks to those that choose to support this server with their checkbook. You know who you are, and I seriously can’t thank you enough.

As I’ve been spending more time around the server recently I’ve noticed that we are slipping on a few of our understood rules. I touched on this in a previous post, however I would like to revisit it. A few things that I noticed off the bat was that many users were being rude, combative, and overly entitled to the moderation staff. Just because you don’t see it in /rules does not give you permission to act like an ass and then cite it. This little labor of love has always been somewhere that you should be able to come and enjoy yourself. There are many tools in place to help defend you from bothersome individuals – however I think the best tool is solid direction as well as reinforcement as to what is right and what is not.

This starts with you. It ends with me. As time continues to pass I can assure you that I am returning to a more active role especially in regards to player happiness and improving the experience for you all in a way that is meaningful and constructive. You will see more of me, and more of me, homeostasis will be achieved, and then you will still see me quite often. I will be looking very closely at what is going on in the community as well as reinforcing what we are about as well as returning to our roots. Many of you know I believe in second chances as well as special cases – however with the player base being on somewhat of rollercoaster involving several different variables I find myself regretting these second chances more and more often. You are allowed to play here, you are not entitled to anything – even if you have a donor prefix. Nobody is invincible or above the law of the land. The only person I absolutely will never ban is myself.

To 99% of you, the above really doesn’t apply to your behavior and I thank you for not being a thorn in my side. To those that it does apply to, well, let’s just say I’ve got my tweezers out.

Where we are going:

First off, multiple universes will be returning. I’ll let you all choose when that is going to happen (now or with 1.3). Please respond and make your voices heard. Until now the plan has been to implement a Hardcore server, a Creative server, and lastly a Games server. We were working on a way to have several servers running at one time and you would be able to port between them, chat would follow, the user base wouldn’t be split by this either. Multiverse is something that we have used in the past and something that I am not opposed to re-implementing if that’s what we have to do. However, that being said – Multiverse when we used it previously was a massive strain on the CPU as Minecraft is single threaded. There have been some tweaks that have been implemented already to improve performance, and you will probably see Multiverse back soon – even if it’s on a “trial” type basis.

I’ve held off on trying to attract new players for awhile now in order to make sure that all the ducks are floating properly in their rows. We are approaching a time where I feel comfortable enough with the staff in place, the senior players, as well as our hardware and my ability to steer the community in the direction I see fit. So be forewarned, when the floodgates are opened you will be expected to greet them with open arms. Every Minecraft server is so, so very different. There is a lot that makes us unique, and regardless of how savvy the person is a lot of our intricacies aren’t apparent up front. We combat this the best we can by placing MOST of the “need to know” info on signs at spawn. New players are turned off really quickly to bad experiences on a new server and we cannot expect them to be a perfect fit right off the bat. Be patient with new people, engage them, you were a total newbie here once too.

Is there anything I can do for you?

If nothing else – MCNSA is your community and you deserve a say in what goes on. Questions? Concerns? Curse words? Post them here or shoot me a message (please use the forums) and let me know what we can be doing better. Please be constructive with this, and most of all be realistic.

Little by little MCNSA will continue to grow into a better place than it already is – and your opinions are incredibly valuable. This is your community. I can’t stress that enough. Thank you again for choosing to play with us in whatever capacity you choose. Nothing will change overnight but I’m looking forward to stepping back up to the top of the helm for as long as I need to.

EDIT: Also, if you are not signed up for the forums already – now is the time to do so. It will be mandatory soon. IF YOU ARE REGISTERED UNDER A NAME THAT IS NOT YOUR MAIN USERNAME REMAKE YOUR ACCOUNT

mcnsaAdmin
    Keymaster

Good points and good to hear i look forward to the future.

PatHeist
    Participant

It’s very nice to hear you will be able to be more active in the future! Also, thanks for everything Nsan, I know this server means a lot to many people.

L7Lynx

I think those are things we always have to keep working on. Unwritten rules are always around as well, they’ve got to be followed too.

Considering multiverse, I’d say we wait till 1.3. Everything’s going to be reset anyway, so getting another 2 worlds for that time being seems pretty useless to me, since it won’t be that long for 1.3 probably.

nsanidy

@L7Lynx wrote:

Considering multiverse, I’d say we wait till 1.3. Everything’s going to be reset anyway, so getting another 2 worlds for that time being seems pretty useless to me, since it won’t be that long for 1.3 probably.

I agree that 1.3 would be the best time to roll it out, however there is a possibility that it may put too much strain on the processor. I would like to implement a trial phase before 1.3 so we know what we are up against and can adapt accordingly before 1.3 hits.

Universe7242

hurray for multiple me’s!

Thanks for all you do!

That’s about all i got to say.

nsanidy

@Universe7242 wrote:

Thanks for all you do!

My pleasure, just don’t forget about the moderation staff that works their asses off for you guys.

M4D_H4TT3R

I will be happy to help in whatever way I can, mcnsa has done a lot for me and I feel a need to repay the community back somehow. I see a lot of things I like and some things that I do not like (From mods and players alike) I will just have to suck it up and live with the things I do not like.

Pyrotek

R&U, boss.

On MultiVerse… running a trial, no-promises kind of thing before 1.3 sounds like a better idea than trying it afterwards – especially since with a rush of new/old 1.3 players it might be difficult to get used to operating it properly.

And, again – I cannot express how grateful I am for the amazing experience and (especially) community that you’ve provided me with for these past two years.

nsanidy

@M4D_H4TT3R wrote:

… (From mods and players alike) I will just have to suck it up and live with the things I do not like.

Not always true, that’s why this is even open for discussion.

samlynn79

I haven’t been part of the server for a terribly long time, but long enough to have seen some of the very things nsanidy talked about…. poor attitudes, players demanding preferential treatment, whining/griping for promotions, as well as a lot of griefing as of late.
    It’s wonderful to me to see nsanidy bringing these things up and making everyone aware that he IS taking notice of things, and also reminding us all of the reasons that we chose this server in the first place.
    Maturity goes a long way, as well as mutual respect, understanding, and generosity.

I’m in for the long haul, as my military service leaves a lot of long hours of odd time in my life, and MCNSA fills those gaps perfectly. Looking forward to continuing to play with you all.

P.S. I don’t know how much help I can be, but I did get a college degree in Computer Science way back in the day. I still build computers and such, but if I can be of help somehow, I’d love to do my best.

Tana64

Be nice, build nice, and you’ll probably make some good friends here, Sam. MCNSA is one place I know computer nerds are welcome (and before anyone takes that offensively, I include myself in that label). ^__^

Also guys in the military are HAWT

Benefit1970

@nsanidy wrote:

As time continues to pass I can assure you that I am returning to a more active role especially in regards to player happiness and improving the experience for you all in a way that is meaningful and constructive. You will see more of me, and more of me, homeostasis will be achieved, and then you will still see me quite often.

I have to admit this was my favorite part of this post. <3

Love you nsan,

-bene

p.s. I only saw this because it was posted on reddit 😉

sugarmuffin

A good read. Glad to hear you will have more time to spend on the server soon.

Between Diablo and summer/working I haven’t been around much but looking forward to throwing some sugar your way.

Love ya guys! <3

Leonheart515

@Benefit1970 wrote:

p.s. I only saw this because it was posted on reddit 😉

I’ve been checking the forums more and more, but this. Also, I’ll jump on the test Multiverse with our current map bandwagon.

Glad to see you’re trying to be more active but as always, keep yourself the number one priority!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.