State of the server.

Front Page Forums Announcements State of the server.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Friends,

We’re having a huge problem right now and you deserve to know what is happening.

As some of you know, there is a small group of children who have cheap access to tools written by people way smarter than them, who decided to bully MCNSA and make it crash, over and over again.

They threaten to launch distributed denial of service attacks on the server where our Minecraft world is located unless they’re unbanned, rank restored.

We do that, asking them to keep their word.

They pause their attacks, they log in, they curse, attack players, try to destroy our creations, they abuse us, swear and lie.

So they were banned. It also means that the server will be offline for long periods of time, possibly until their mom asks them to wash their teeth and go to bed.

I cannot speak for you, but I know personally how it is to be bullied. It’s a big cliche to say I’m a nerd and people picked on me in school. Well, this time around bullies are not gonna win. MCNSA will be down if it has to. For now.

Meanwhile, we will try to do our very best to shut them down. We have law on our side and there are things an adult can do to children who keep vandalizing his property.

Stay tuned for an update. Meanwhile, I hope you’re with us – MCNSA is way bigger than a Minecraft world and we will not ask 3 little children to please allow us to have fun together.

Not gonna happen.

Stagen

Name names. Who are they, how can we target THEM?
    Publicly shame them. Reddit, facebook, twitter etc. If they can harass us, we can do the same to THEM.

As you said, MCNSA will prevail. And they are just 3 kids. Lets see how they feel about such abuse.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I get what you’re saying – we’re all frustrated. And we know their names. But we won’t be playing this game on their level… flaming them publicly and spamming their websites is their game.

We’ll take the game to the higher level. A homeowner doesn’t throw poop at the neighbor’s kid after he kicked his dog. He talks with the neighbor.

Stagen

Or takes a shotgun to their front door. At least, that’s what I’d do.

Eronaile

(1st Google result for ‘ddos defense’)

Recommendations

If a mitigation service is too expensive, there are things IT can do to lower the exposure and limit the damage from DDoS attacks (discussed more in depth in our full report):

1. Fortify your edge network: Ensure that firewall and IDS systems have DoS features turned on, including things like dropping spoofed or malformed packets, setting SYN, ICMP, and UDP flood drop thresholds, limiting connections per server and client, and dynamically filtering and automatically blocking (at least for a short time) clients sending bad packets.

2. Develop a whitelist of known good external systems: These include business partner gateways, ISP links and cloud providers. This ensures that stringent edge filtering, whether done on your firewall or by a DDoS service, lets good traffic through.

3. Perform regular audits and reviews of your edge devices: Look for anomalies like bandwidth spikes. This works best if the data is centrally collected and analyzed across every device in your network.

4. Understand how to identify DDoS traffic: Research attack signatures and have someone on your network team who knows how to use a packet sniffer to discriminate between legitimate and DDoS traffic.

5. Prepare DNS: Lower the DNS TTL for public-facing Web servers, since these are most likely to be attacked. If you need to protect an entire server subnet, have a plan to readvertise BGP routes to a mitigation service.

6. Keep public Web servers off your enterprise ISP link: With Web servers being the most common DDoS target, Michael Davis, CEO of Savid Technologies and a regular InformationWeek contributor, recommends Web hosting with a vendor that doesn’t share your pipes. “Your website may be down, but at least the rest of your business is up,” says Davis.

7. Practice good server and application security hygiene: Layer 7 attacks exploit operating system and application security flaws, often using buffer overflows to inject attack code into SQL databases or Web servers, so keep systems patched.

There’s lots of additional information as well.

PatHeist
    Participant

Thank you, ridddle.
    Banning them was the right thing to do.
    They derive pleasure from our discomfort or pain, at least as it is perceived by them.
    Disallowing interactions with the MCNSA community is the best move towards making them bored, and working towards a more permanent solution. Even though this decision is something that will impact the server heavily for quite some time. Affecting player-base, and whatnot.

Through this, I ask all of you to try as best you can to continue playing on MCNSA when you can. And to be involved as much in the community as possible when playing is not an option.

Also, I am with ridddle on not sinking to their level. I know everyone’s a little bummed out, but it would be best to keep threats, no matter how idle, to yourself. No shotgun will be taken to their door, and no public ridicule will be made, if this is to be over as swiftly as possible. If you really need to, take some joy out of being passive aggressive!

As for stopping or preventing DDoS attacks, it is nearly impossible. And the costs of mitigating damage are insane, and something only large companies can afford. Our best bet in this is on the psychological front, removing the entertainment they derive from their actions. Or potentially future legal action, which isn’t very feasible at the moment, for several reasons.

Thank you all in advance for doing your best to pretend nothing is happening, and to try to keep playing as normal. It would mean a lot, I believe, if everyone did their best to put restraints on attempting to resolve the situation on their own, or to seek out any of the culprits.

/ PatHeist

Eronaile

On the contrary, a white list for example is hilariously cheap (that is, for free) but needs some time to set up of course.
    The cost factor is why I quoted the text from ddosdefense, there are several cheap or free ways to take action against this kinda crap.
    However we just play other games and they waste their time. Sounds fine to me 🙂

quantumkitty
    Participant

>Gets DDoS’d
    >Uses IP to get ISP
    >Contact ISP and give exact IP
    >ISP follows legal obligation to limit service to customer until investigation is complete.
    >they hold no requirement to warn customer if they have a legitimate reason for suspicion
    >kid keeps DDoSing
    >gets dropped from service all the while being unable to send more than 200 bytes of data at a time
    Owned?
    Or you can just find a packet monitor, wait to be pinged repeatedly by a DDoS, block the data, and Ping them back. Do it right, and the ISP penalizes them anyways.

quantumkitty
    Participant

Better yet, it’s completely free :O

Stagen

>Gets DDoS’d
    >Uses IP to get ISP
    >Contact ISP and give exact IP

>Uses IP to get exact home address
    >Equips baseball bat
    >Imagine the rest

Violence is always the best option. And it’s fun.

Megleris

On a more serious note – is there anything we can do? I’d like to help wherever I could – I’m sure many people feel the same way. If it’s strictly a $$ issue, or a ‘research decent servers’ or something of that nature, I’m sure the talented people here can help out. I know I’d be willing to throw more $$ if its strictly “we need $xxx more monthly to not have these issues”.

Warchamp7

You can donate via subscriptions on the home page. You should donate to support the server because you enjoy it, not to fix a problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for keeping us informed ridddle. I think it’s pretty stupid how these kids take minecraft so seriously. Hopefully, they will just get bored after awhile. Or arrested. Either way works for me 😆 .

Megleris

I do donate to the server to support it because I enjoy it; but I’d be willing to donate more to help fix a problem (if that makes sense).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.