The 1.3 update thread.

Front Page Forums MCNSA The 1.3 update thread.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    PeebleTheory

ITT post about new things in 1.3 and why it’s going to be an awesome update. No release date for it yet.

A list of all the new features planned: http://www.reddit.com/r/edstonehelper/comments/p6lol/planned_for_the_next_update/

The most recent snapshot: http://www.mojang.com/2012/06/minecraft-snapshot-week-23/

Complete change log: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/upmaz/minecraft_snapshot_week_23/

I’m super exited for tripwires, they should make for some great traps.

Stagen

The new XP system, how rediculous is that? You get xp from mining and smelting now. Does it make things too easy? I’ve always felt that the trial of either finding an xp farm, or making one – would be the challenge in gathering xp. On the other hand, I’m sure a lot of people think that being idle while waiting for mobs to spawn is boring as hell. How do you lot feel about this?

And the trading with testificates thing? Would that leave to griefing (by killing them) or to keep more secrets? On a SMP server like ours, should we enable protections (like a wildlife sanctuary) so that Testificate Villages remain intact? I’ve found two empty villages already on mcnsa where no Testificates excist, truly sad.

PeebleTheory

I love the new XP system personally. No more of “playing” minecraft while sitting idle for hours on end.

I’m very word about testificates being griefed though. Emerald ore is incredibly rare and trading will be the only way to obtain it. Maybe we could have a trading area at spawn of some sorts, with moderator spawned and protected testificates? Though, I think it would be better if you come across a village, you can /modreq it and there would be protections placed on it. Does World Guard allow for protections on killing certain mobs?

Stagen

I have no idea if World Guard could do the job. I’m not much of a modder. The most advanced thing for me thus far is WorldEdit.

Pyrotek

@Stagen wrote:

The new XP system, how rediculous is that? You get xp from mining and smelting now. Does it make things too easy? I’ve always felt that the trial of either finding an xp farm, or making one – would be the challenge in gathering xp. On the other hand, I’m sure a lot of people think that being idle while waiting for mobs to spawn is boring as hell. How do you lot feel about this?

I’m actually really looking forward to this – I’ve never been an engineer kind of player, and using grinders (and even making them) has seemed very boring and game-killing for moi.

As for WorldGuard protecting Testificates… I don’t know the details on that, but I’m sure we’ll work it out.

EDIT: Some really cool other things in this update, it seems. Adventure Mode, creative mode improvements, large biomes, new temples, starting chests…

Two questions I have: the first link Peeble posted has this in it: “made Singleplayer use a local multiplayer server”

Does that mean any major changes in modding, etc for single player?

Oh, and now apparently cauldrons are filled up with rainwater. Is it currently possible for water buckets to be filled up from cauldrons? If it is, might be helpful if you’re somehow stuck in a large biome without a river/lake/ocean nearby… 😛

PeebleTheory

“Does that mean any major changes in modding, etc for single player?”

Yes. Maybe some background should be given on this change first. As I understand it, Minecraft SP and MP are coded like completely different games. This makes it very hard for Mojang and it’s also the reason why MP is so much buggier than SP. What this will do is make single player run a server in the background. You’ll basically be playing multiplayer by yourself. This shouldn’t change anything on the user end. Though, it does open up the possibility that you will be able to simply invite a friend to your SP world, similar to how it is on the Xbox.

This will change modding though. The new modding API will work like Bukkit, so to install mods (SP/MP) you just drag and drop into a mod (or plugin) folder. The mod API was delayed for 1.4 though (source).

“f it is, might be helpful if you’re somehow stuck in a large biome without a river/lake/ocean nearby… :P”

Even in large biomes, there are plenty of lakes on the surface. I’m sure there are plenty of underground ones too.

Pyrotek

Thanks for the explanation – this sounds pretty good, though I’m sure there’s small problems with it that’ll show up eventually…

Now that sharing-SP world concept seems nice and simple; I’ve never liked having to set up Hamachi and such to sucker my friends into playing with me.

I have my own snapshot video on youtube for snapshot 12w22a:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44gZf5KmbUk
    Please watch! —>SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE<—

Stagen

I’ve been playing on my own little 1.3 snapshot the entire weekend (while geeking Dr. Who episodes) and I can say that there’s clear improvement in gameplay! 😀
    I love how you’re free to place slabs by the position of the pointer. I love how the tripwire allows me to make non-interactive vertical triggers and how dispensers are now able to suck back up the stuff they spit out!

I can’t wait for the mcnsa servers to get updated!

PeebleTheory

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/209615268241092608

This weeks snapshot is going to be mainly bug fixes. Hopefully that means we’ll see the update soon!

G0dsl4yer
    Participant

I think minecraft has evolved too much. I liked the simplicity of it, but now there are so many short cuts and too much going on. villages, abandoned mineshafts, brewing and enchanting are a bit too much and detract from the originality it had when I first joined.

Stagen

G0dsl4yer, don’t you think you’d be bored without the updates and always new changes about? I mean, without the new ways to do things, the innovative and creative development of the users and devs – the game would be quite bland and static. A game that never changes won’t be played as much as Minecraft does.

Minecraft can never evolve too much.

Pyrotek

Yeah… sometimes I miss the extremely simple way Minecraft was when I joined just a bit before the Halloween Update, but I know that if I was a consistent player, the only reason I’d still enjoy the game is because of the constant updating and new things to try out. I might dislike some of the innovations… but overall, I liek.

Nadarekyle
    Participant

I joined in 1.7.3, and I still reset my jar every once in a while. Also, I hunger for that first MCNSA map I played. I loved that amazingly badass spawn – it pulled me away from singleplayer forever.

PeebleTheory

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/210403472149975041

Tripwire distance is now 40 string and detects entities and arrows.

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/210399910984560641

The horrible boat mechanics have been changed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.