- This topic is empty.
January 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm #1139
Welcome to the MCNSA Book Club,
At least if you are new to this corner of the forums. Welcome back to those of you who have found your way back. Now for those of you who return, I know this thread is hardly a corner. Unfortunately in the streamlining of the forums in the effort to prevent fracturing the community into a million tiny pieces our lovely corner was swept away. But that is okay. I have been devising a way for us to stream line our previous way of doing things into one thread.
For those who are new, originally when we were on reddit and andreicek had a dream. A dream of books. A dream of a Club. So of course he set out to create a book club. Unfortunately he was unable to fully see his dream bloom due to real life and all that it throws at us. I set out to continue that dream for him and am happy to see that we’ve managed a few years. Unfortunately the discussions really haven’t happened but I hope that will change in this new year. Join us and make this dream thrive.
Please bare with me as I outline what I plan to do in this post. I will also set up the book of the month for this month, January 2013! That’s right we made it through most of a year, unfortunately with some skipped months but I hope that this year we can avoid it.
As I set things up I’ll collapse the explanations into spoiler windows. Once everything is done everything in this post about the set up will be deleted but until I set up everything and I’m sure it looks good/what ever I will collapse parts or wholes into spoiler windows that way if I need to go back and make a change I can.
~ || ~
1. The Book of the Month
-This will be the place for the current book of the month. I figured it would be best to put it right at the top so people can swing by and see the book with out having to go far or do much searching at all. I’m hoping that this will be agreeable for everyone. For those of you who have been around this will mostly follow the format I used in the original posts for the books of 2012. I may move things around or add new things. Even if you are returning please take a look over everything.
– Where I will mark what book of the month it is. (In case it is a few days at the start of the next month so no one gets confused). This was something I didn't have to worry about when each book had it's own thread.
b. Suggestion / Recommended by:
– As the title so suggest this will be where the name of the memeber who suggested it, or the name or relation of the outside source who recommended. I maybe also switch the two out based on weather the person has read the book before and can actually recommend it as a good read or if it's simply a book we came across that sounded interesting.
– This will be a picture of the/a cover of the book. The picture will link to the book's goodreads.com page where it is available, if not I will link the picture to some other site be it an amazon link or a wiki link.
d. Due Date:
– The date you should be done reading this book (ie: January, 29th 2012). Clearly you can finish as early as you want. If you aren't done, well that just means you will not be able to enjoy the discussions fully with out spoiling the book for yourself. You maybe able to discuss it with other late readers but this thread will move on as soon as the next month rolls in and the next book of the month is posted.
e. Forum Discussion:
– The date of the forum discussion will be here. The date will span from the day the book is posted to the end of the month. I will be putting up a guideline for discussion posts.
f. Mumble Discussion:
– The date and time for the mumble discussion. As a note all dates and times will be posted in what some of us call Nsan Time which is Eastern Standard Time(EST). Be mindful of this since I know we have people who live in the lands of the future for us Americans. I used to make the times for these rather late and in the middle of the week (Tue/Wed) because my days off fell there for my old job. Now that I have a new job I will most likely have weekends off, and now I am no longer working late into the night, or having to go into work at a stupid early hour.
So now that I don't have these odd hours I am willing to work with people to set this time so more people can attended. If you are someone from the future I'd like to get with you so we can figure out when afternoon/evening will work for you. ALSO I'll work with participants book to book so feel free to message me and I will do what I can, but be mindful. If I switch the time so you can make it and you either don't show up or are not decently active in the discussions I will be less inclined to switch it up for you again.
Default times will normally be in the late afternoon/evening for EST.
-This area will contain either a short description of the book, a synopsis entry or both. Some times these can be lengthy other times they will be rather short. I will also include the genre of the book and probably the first publication and mayhaps a subsection to note what major events that were going on during its writing that might influence the writing or help people understand the book or mind frames the characters have.
The description will normally be pulled from goodreads.com and can be read on the site by clicking the picture of the cover.
i. About the Author:
– Rather self evident here but just to be sure. I will post a small excerpt about the author. Again this can be from goodreads.com , wiki, or another source. Some books may have two authors or perhaps even more then that or even nothing if we chance to read a book where there is no known author or little about them.
j. Rose Notes / other notes:
– For previous books I usually commented on the book. Those book I have read are usually more in depth, or for books that I haven't read but ended up being the pick of the month I usually explain why I suggested that book. For other books not by me I will probably ask the person who suggested it if at all possible.[/spoiler:ni16annz]
~ || ~
-This will be where we collect all the books we have previous read and have them here so people who come in later or was not able to read a certain book for a previous month can look back and perhaps pick it up on their own.
– The month and Year this was read.
– This will have a smaller version of the original book of the month cover picture that will link to the books goodread.com/what ever was used page.
c. Forum Link:
-I will have a link that will take you to the page that this book was announced on in the forum thread so anyone coming back to it will be able to easily find the discussions that went on for that book.[/spoiler:ni16annz]
**d. Reader List: Moved to Member List!
-My hope is that we can figure out a rating system that each reader can give to the book. I haven’t figured out exactly how I want to do this but the point is to see how each book stands up to the MCNSA community. Was it hated by everyone? Was it loved by everyone? Or was it some where in the middle? I figured this way people who are a part of the MCNSA community will be able to choose a book based on our own community.
~ || ~
[spoiler:ni16annz]-A list of all the members who have participated. This will be split up into ranks. Myself, megleris, andreicek and later others will be marked as a top rank. We will be those who make sure that The MCNSA Book Club keeps running, even when I'm indisposed or what ever. Then there will be our top readers, those who have participated in nearly every month and so on and so forth with a new rank for those who have just joined and probably one for retired readers.
**a. Reader List:
– I am hoping to be able to keep track of who participated with each book so we can easily find who has read the book. This will serve several purposes. One for those who might wanna ask a specific person what they thought of it before they decide to pick it up. So perhaps a new reader can maybe hold a discussion with a previous reader. The final reason will be for me to easily keep track of who has read which book, I will figure out a way to notate who finished it so I can easily figure out and be able to award Bookworm Points to the member(I will discuss Bookworm Points later). THis is also so that someone can look at the list, realize that “Hey [username] read this book, we have similar tastes so maybe I'll like it as well!”[/spoiler:ni16annz]
~ || ~
4. Bookworm Points
– Now I mentioned this earlier in the post and said I’d get into this. I believe it was either our last book we did, or the one before previous to my hiatus that I mentioned awarding points to people for reading the book, finishing the book and participating in the discussions. I also mentioned that there might be goodies involved with such a thing. I still plan to do that. The only thing is I’m not sure weather it will be a prize awarded for certain amount of points or if perhaps collect several gifts/goodies (all will be book related, perhaps a copy of a previous book we’ve read, a gift card to a book store or gift purchase for someone’s kindle/ereader or what ever) and have an auction. Points you have earned you can bid towards an item against other members and who ever has the most points dedicated to an item gets that item or what ever.
Again this is still just an idea and will take a while for me to be able to iron out all the details. But once that happens this is the place where points will be recorded, and prizes will either be announced or auctions placed.
~ || ~
5. Future Books
-This will be a place to keep all the books that have been recommended and meet the criteria for a book of the month. I will also include a template for how you can suggest a book to be the book of the month and a list of the criteria for a book to qualify
~ || ~
6. Extended Reading
– A home for all the books that MCNSA’er loved and would like to share with others. This is for books that have not been a book of the month and does not qualify for a chance to be the book of the month. That or books that come later in a series that can not be a stand alone read.
~ || ~
7. Rules & Guidelines
– This will be the home of all the rules and Guidelines for everything here. This will cover how one should post their discussions through out the month / the end of the month with out ruining it for others who aren’t as far or who have not finished yet. What is allowed and what is not. At some point the guideline to the bookworm points and any other info regarding that as we figured it out will be posted here. Also the rating system. I might also post another set of how to’s for submitting a book to the future book of the months post as well.
~ || ~
8. Goodreads Names
-This will be used for those who are willing to add other people as friends to their goodreads friends to be able to compare books there or what ever. We will put your minecraft name = goodreads name. You should only submit yours if you are willing to have others friend you. If you only want select people then you will have to swap information another way.
I will also put a summery of what goodreads.com is for those who have yet to discover it.
~ || ~
I hope you were able to read all of this post and understand. I also hope I will be able to get everything set up rather quickly but this will take time and I apologize for the mess it will be as construction continues.
– blackrosebronwen.January 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm #8182
~|| | | ||~ The Book of the Month ~|| | | ||~
Due date: February 28th, 2013
Forum Discussion: February 1st – 28th, 2013
Mumble Discussion: Tentative To Be Decided (Suggestions Needed)
Description: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here – one of whom was his own grandfather – were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow – impossible though it seems – they may still be alive(From Goodreads )
About the Author:Ransom Riggs I grew up in Florida, went to Kenyon College in Ohio, then film school at USC in LA, where I still live. I write books and screenplays, blog daily for mentalfloss.com, and make short films.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is my first novel. I’m really excited about it — it was challenging and rewarding and I hope people like it. If you read that and like the found photographs in it, you might be interested in a book comprised entirely of found photographs that I have coming out January 2012 from HarperCollins. It’s called Talking Pictures. You can find sneak peeks by doing a search for “mental floss talking pictures” (I included a number of images in blogs there) and I made a kinda-sorta book trailer for it, which is on my youtube page: youtube.com/ransriggs.
Also, watch out for a Miss Peregrine book trailer, which I’m working on right now! I get to go to Belgium and film inside creepy abandoned chateaus, which I’m *really* looking forward to. (From Goodreads )
Rose Notes:Well we made it through the first month, and I am happy to present the second book for the 2013 year. I wish I could claim this book as a read I recommended but unfortunately I can not. This book was brought to my attention by my brother known as Bobbers on minecraft. This book was also chosen first by popular vote but shared that by I, Lucifer; but it was ultimately fate or chance(How ever you wanna look at it) that has brought this book to be February’s book.
I am looking forward to reading this book and wish I could remember what my brother said about it when he first told me about it. Either way I know this will be a book I will enjoy and hope that the other Members will enjoy it as well.January 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm #8183
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|| | | ||~Archives~|| | | ||~
~April 2012~~~~~~~~~~June 2012~~~~~~~~~~July 2012 ~~~~~~~~~~August 2012~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~September 2012~~~~~~~~~~January 2013~January 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm #8184
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|| | | ||~Member List~|| | | ||~
Name & # of Read Books: spoiler= List of books.
||Book Club “Mods”||
blackrosebronwen: #6 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities, Confessions of a D-List Supervillain, Anonymous Rex, A Wizard of Earth Sea, Lord of the Flies, The Book of Three[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Megleris: #4 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]Confessions of a D-List Supervillain, Anonymous Rex, A Wizard of Earth Sea, Lord of the Flies[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Atlasrune: #3 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities, Confessions of a D-List Supervillain, A Wizard of Earth Sea[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Andreicek: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
||Book Club Members||
M4D_H4TT3R: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]The Book of Three[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Pyrotek: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
spacecatapult: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Wizard of Earth Sea[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Asheu: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Wizard of Earth Sea[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Farblade: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]Confessions of a D-List Supervillian[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
wigginman: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Raynomd: #1 [spoiler:26z1f1lc]A Tale of Two Cities[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
greypo #_ [spoiler:26z1f1lc][/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
G0dsl4yer: #_ [spoiler:26z1f1lc][/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Nadarekyle: #_ [spoiler:26z1f1lc][/spoiler:26z1f1lc]
Butlerlog: #1[spoiler:26z1f1lc]Neverwhere[/spoiler:26z1f1lc]January 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm #8185
~|| | | ||~Bookworm Points~|| | | ||~January 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm #8186January 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm #8187
~|| | | ||~Extended Reading~|| | | ||~January 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm #8188
~|| | | ||~ Rules & Guidelines~|| | | ||~January 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm #8189
~reserved ~January 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm #8190
To be able to read all of these, I would recommend Calibre, as it allows you to read just about every type of ebook files, and can convert them to specific formats if you have physical eBook readers such as a kindle or a nook.
April 2012Tale of two Cities
June 2012 Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
August 2012 Wizard of Earthsea – Club is only officially reading first book.
February – Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar ChildrenJanuary 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm #8191
~|| | | ||~ January’s Book 2013 ~|| | | ||~
Suggestion: Pulled from my own recommended list on Goodreads.
Due date: January 25th, 2013
Forum Discussion: January 4th – 31st, 2013
Mumble Discussion: Tentative date January 26th, 2013 at 6 pm EST
Description: Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper wants to become a hero, joined by Eilonwy, the strong-willed and sharp-tongued princess; Fflewddur Fflam, the hyperbole-prone bard; the ever-faithful Gurgi; and the curmudgeonly Doli–all of whom have become involved in an epic struggle between good and evil that shapes the fate of the legendary land of Prydain.(From Goodreads )
About the Author:Lloyd Chudley Alexander (January 30, 1924 – May 17, 2007) was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children’s literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King, was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1969. Alexander’s other books have also won the National Book Award and the American Book Award. He was also one of the creators of Cricket Magazine. (From Goodreads )
Rose Notes: Welcome to the first book of the month for 2013. Unfortunately we missed a few months last year and our book club was not so much a club and more a few scattered people reading the books roughly during the same time frame. I want to change that. Now onto the book.
This book has been on my recommended list on goodread.com for a while now, but I’ve been ignoring it. It wasn’t until The new year rolled around and I decided to push and fight for a real book club. Now this is again a shorter read. It is only 190 pages and from the few pages I’ve read it seems to flow rather well. This is also a young adult book so its acceptable for any age. The reviews I’ve read have been mostly positive, first time readers of all ages seemed to enjoy it and adult readers returning to a book they read in their childhood still praised the book. Again some did not but it was a small number. I hope everyone enjoys the book and lets me know if they are reading it and when they have finished.January 5, 2013 at 3:38 am #8192greypoModerator
I’m in, although I’m not sure how to get my hands on that particular book. My local library doesn’t seem to have it 😕 .January 5, 2013 at 5:24 am #8193AtlasruneModeratorJanuary 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm #8194
Anyone reading the book who hasn’t posted that they are?
Also for those of you who have started, thoughts so far?
Remember if you are going to post anything that might ruin or “spoil” something for someone else make use of the spoiler feature on our forums.January 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm #8195PyrotekModerator
I’m about to start reading it – finishing finals this week and then I have to fix my Nook, but I’ll hopefully be done in time. 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.